• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 3/4 cup white sugar
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 3/4 cup buttermilk
• 2 eggs, beaten
• 2 tablespoons butter, melted
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt. Add in the milk, eggs, melted butter and vanilla. Mix until just blended and no more dry flour remains.
- Lightly grease a donut pan and fill each donut hollow 3/4 full. The batter is quite thick so a piping bag may be helpful with this step.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes in an oven preheated to 400ºF. The donuts are ready when they spring back to the touch (note, these donuts do not brown so take care not to over bake.)
• 1 cup icing sugar
• 2 teaspoons corn syrup
• 2-3 teaspoons milk
- Mix all the ingredients together, add more milk if absolutely necessary.
- Spread icing on cooled donuts and allow to dry for at least an hour.
• Chocolate: Add 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder.
• Extracts: Add 1 teaspoon of your choice of flavouring (vanilla, almond, mint, etc.) and reduce milk quantity accordingly.