• 1/2 cup white sugar
• 4 tablespoons corn syrup
• 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- Mix the white sugar and corn syrup together in a pot.
- Place the pot over medium heat and let the mixture melt. Do not stir while on the heat (it's one of those cardinal rules of candy making).
- Once the mixture is bubbling and caramelized into a golden brown, take it off the heat and quickly mix in the baking soda. The mixture will become very voluminous and turn a pale golden colour.
- Quickly pour the mixture into a small shallow pan. Silicone or aluminum pans work the best because of their flexible walls. If you use a hard metal or glass pan ensure it is lightly greased.
- Allow to cool before cutting or smashing into shards.